Facilities & Equipment Rentals
Story County Conservation offers rental facilities at Dakins Lake, McFarland Park, and Hickory Grove Park. To schedule a reservation, contact the administrative office during business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) at (515)-232-2516 or by email.
Special Events Permit
Persons or groups hosting an event in a county park and meeting either of the following criteria must apply for a special events permit:
- Any event or gathering charging admission or charging for services regardless of the number of people
- Any event or gathering not sponsored by numbering two-hundred and fifty (250) people or more.
To inquire about a permit, email Story County Conservation or call (515)-232-2516.
The IRVM department has equipment available to assist with every aspect of native prairie establishment and management; from the back yard to the back forty. If you are interested in renting one of the following pieces of equipment, please contact the IRVM office at 515-382-7367.
Equipment available for rent:
- 6 foot, 8 foot and 10 foot native grass/forb seed drills
- 3-point broadcast seeder
- DiskHand-held seeder
- Spike-tooth harrow
Canoes and Pedalboats
Canoe and pedal boats are available for use on the lake at Hickory Grove Park for $5/half hour. They may be rented from the concession stand near the beach on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, noon to 8:00 p.m., Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Free-Loan Casting Rods and Reels
- 40 free-loan casting rods and reels are available to use for a fishing field trip, teach casting, or practice for the Fish Iowa! casting contest. Contact the Environmental Education Coordinator for availability.
- 10 free-loan fly fishing rods and reels are available to use for a fishing field trip or to teach casting. Contact the Environmental Education Coordinator for availability.