State of Iowa Veterans Benefits
Types of State Benefits
Please visit the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs website to view state benefits available in the following areas:
Driver's License Designation
Honorably discharged Veterans may obtain a Veteran designation on their Driver's License or ID card by doing the following:
- Present a copy of their DD214 that meets all the required criteria indicating they served on active duty and were honorably discharged directly to a driver's license location.
- Find more information from the Iowa DOT
High School Diploma
IDVA Benefit Specialists
Injured Veterans Grant
Iowa Veterans Cemetery
Iowa Veterans Home
Honorably discharged Veterans (as defined in the Code of Iowa 35.1) are eligible to purchase specialty Veteran license plates for their vehicle. These special plates are available through the Iowa Department of Transportation. As of 2014: The special plate issuance fees charged for plates associated with military service have been eliminated. Note: This is the issuance fee and not the registration fee.
Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License
- Veterans in receipt of a 0% service-connected disability can receive a lifetime hunting or fishing license for a minimal fee. In order to qualify, the Iowa resident must have served on active federal service and been disabled as a result of that service.
- Download the application: DNR Form 542-1412 from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources website.
Property Tax Exemption
- This benefit reduces a Veteran's assessed home value for property tax purposes by $1,852. In order to qualify, a service member must have served on active duty during a period of war or for a minimum of 18 months during peacetime. This program has been around since 1947.
- Disabled Veteran's Homestead Tax Credit
- This legislation enacted in 2014 provides 100% exemption of property taxes for 100% disabled service-connected Veterans and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) recipients.
Federal REAL ID regulations will be enforced Oct 1, 2020. If your driver's license or ID doesn't have a REAL ID gold star, additional identification and screening may be required to fly or enter a federal building after this date. Review before you renew, to determine if you need a REAL ID and how to get one. View more information about REAL ID.
Veterans Trust Fund
Vietnam Conflict Bonus
War Orphan Tuition Assistance
For more information about any of these benefits, please contact the Story County VA office at 515-956-2626 or 515-956-2625.