Dust Control by Private Owners
If applying chemical suppressant to the road surface, please follow the procedures as listed below:
1. Contact the Story County Engineers Office at 515-382-7355 to request a dust control permit. You can also download and print the form. Dust Control Application (PDF)
2. After printing the dust control permit, fill out the information that is required. Be sure to sign the permit.
3. The permit may be faxed to the Story County Engineers office at 515-382-7369, mailed to: Engineer, 837 N Avenue, Nevada, IA 50201, or hand delivered at the address mentioned previously.
4. Once the permit is approved, you are required to contact the Engineers office at least one (1) week prior to the application. This notification will allow the maintenance crew time to prepare the road surface for the application.
5. The Applicant shall be responsible for placing the appropriate signs and barricades for the operation.
6. Sand or gravel blotter shall be applied if penetration of chemical is too slow or application of chemical is excessive. If the applicant is unable to make the arrangements for this blotter, the County shall cause the work to be done and the cost billed to the applicant.
7. The County shall continue to perform the necessary maintenance and construction functions required within and upon the treated roadway. If potholes develop, the surface will be lightly bladed to fill the depressions. Any damage of the treated roadway resulting from any operation by Story County shall in no way obligate Story County for its repair or restoration.
8. Financing of the work shall be the sole responsibility of the applicant.
9. The applicant shall be responsible for removing the signs and /or barricades after the road surface has been placed in a suitable condition to support traffic.
10. Roads will be bladed for the winter season after October 1st.
WASTE OIL RESTRICTION: The use of waste oil is banned.
During the month of May, June, July, and August, Story County Secondary Road maintenance crews may work Monday thru Thursday (6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)